Admission Requirements for Mississippi Universities
Admission of entering freshmen is based on the completion of the College Preparatory Curriculum (CPC) with either a specific minimum grade-point average (GPA) or both a specific GPA and minimum standard test score. Students must submit a high school transcript reflecting satisfactory completion of the following high school course requirements. (Provisional admission may be granted after six semesters of high school provided the transcript indicates that courses to complete the CPC are underway; final admission will require a complete transcript.)
Regular admission will be granted to the following:
- All students completing the College Preparatory Curriculum (CPC) with a minimum 3.20 high school GPA on the CPC.
- All students completing the College Preparatory Curriculum (CPC) with a minimum 2.50 high school GPA on the CPC and a minimum score of 16 on the composite ACT (or 760 on the SAT critical reading/mathematics.)
- All students completing the CPC with a minimum 2.0 high school GPA on the CPC and a minimum score of 16 on the composite ACT (or 760 on the SAT critical reading/mathematics).
- All students who meet certification requirements for the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). This option is available to all freshman applicants.
Minimum Test Scores for Mississippi Universities
Students whose ACT subtest score in reading, English, and/or mathematics is less than 17 (or SAT verbal and/or mathematics score is 400 or less) are required to enroll in an appropriate developmental course during the first semester of enrollment and to remain in the course until receiving a passing grade or until passing the placement exam administered by the Department of Developmental Studies. Students with ACT subtest scores of 17, 18, or 19 are encouraged to enroll in developmental courses. Those students who enroll in two or more developmental courses also are required to complete two semesters of Developmental Support Lab. Enrollment in developmental courses is limited to students with subtest scores below 20 except with permission of the department.
Minimum Test Scores for Enrollment in English Comp I and College Algebra at Community Colleges:
- ACT sub-score of 18 in mathematics to qualify for College Algebra
- ACT sub-score of 16 in English to qualify for English Comp I